Sunday, February 1, 2009

Empowering through learning...

As I previously mentioned, the Beyond Borders crew will be putting in volunteer time at the not for profit organization The Working Centre in downtown Kitchener. Not only is this a great oppurtunity to enhance my resume and give a little back to the community, but I truly think that there is a lot more than I first imagined for me to learn.

One project that I found particularily interesting was the Recycle Cycles Community Bike Shop. Volunteers working on this project are dedicated to assisting (NOT fixing, but instead teaching) the public on bicycle maintenence, as well as work on refurbishing donated bicycles. Recycle cycles keeps bikes out of landfills and promotes a more environmental way of transportation.
There are two things that I find especially significant about this project. First of all, I have owned my own car since I was 17. In fact, just before Christmas, I owned two cars for about a year and a half. I've never had to really rely on any other means of transportation, or even given much thought to those who may not have their own car. What I'm getting at here is that I don't think I truly understood the importance that a bike could have on someone's life. And not only that, but to then have the skills to fix your bike yourself now gives you a mode of transportation you can rely on.
Secondly, and something that a number of projects at the working centre involve, is the transfer of skills. I know I'm a bit of a nerd, but I think that most people feel better about themselves when they are learning new things or when they have a skill that they can put into use. While the "outside" picture of Recycle Cycles is that people are learning how to effectively take care of their bicycle, I truly think the more important "inner" picture is about empowering these people by telling them: "Hey, you've got a great skill. You can now use this skill to better your and others lives. You are important and you are valued!" This message is obsorbed by the people and its effect will be seen in their daily decisions.
As many of the BB students have already shared a new ability to see Friere in everything, I think this is another perfect example!

As Recycle Cycles didn't fit in with my schedule, I will be volunteering at Worth a Second Look on Wednesdays. I'm stoked for the position and am sure I will learn a ton! After my first shift I'll let you guys know how it went!

Anyways, hope the weekend went great for everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Matt, I can totally relate to what you're saying. I also have always had a car so I don't think I truly understand what it feels like to completely rely on a bike.

    And regarding your second comment about transfer of skills, I see that also happening in the Computer training course I'm assisting with. You see people feeling very proud of themselves when they went from haven't ever touched a computer before to knowing how to save a word document. It's truly empowering..

    ReplyDelete