Friday, March 20, 2009

Be the Change You Want to See

After looking back on some of my blogs, I feel that I have been a little negative this term - my entries have often concentrated on all of the problems that I see, yet I left little room for what we can do about it. I think this is mainly because until a few weeks ago, I really had no answers! Moreover, everyone in the class has at one point or other asked "but how do I get other's to act responsibly?!" Well here's my two cents:

After much time and thought, I think what it comes down to is leading by example. Personally, I find this "solution" to feel only satisfactory... I was hoping that I would find a BIG IDEA, some real grand, large scale program that we could implement and have it touch people, motivating them to do great things... but I don't think that's realistic. The fact of the matter is that as humans, we have the ability to chose selfishness and laziness and turn a blind eye. Some people will choose this path, and point blank, we aren't going to change this in everyone. BUT, what we can do is show people that selfishness and laziness aren't there only options - in fact there is a multitude of options just waiting to be chosen!

I feel like this solution is beautiful in it's simplicity, but that's often why it is overlooked. How can something so obvious have any impact? I mean "lead by example" isn't something new... We've all been taught this since we were young, so how can it make a difference now?

I've picked up on a few similar comments Joanne has made since the beginning of term regarding this issue. I think where it hit me was while we were meeting at The Working Centre. Kate was talking about how many of her friends truly admire her for being a part of the Beyond Borders program, but (and sorry Kate, if I mess up your words, let me know!) "they would NEVER think about doing something like this!". Joanne's response was "well now they have thought about doing something like this", simply because they are friends with Kate. That is, Kate's choice to be a part of the Beyond Borders program is a having a ripple effect - each person she knows is now being touched by her choice. The same goes for the rest of us - while some may look around the world and throw their hands up in frustration and ask "what's the point", they can now look at us and see that ordinary students can make a difference. Instead of asking "what's the point", maybe they will begin to ask "Well why can't I make a difference too!"

When you look at it this way, I feel it sheds an optimistic light on the situation. For me, it's no longer a matter of questioning why people aren't getting involved... it's more about how can I demonstrate to others that it's not hard to be a global citizen, how can I engage in this dialogue that moves people to action. And again, the simple answer is be the change you want to see.

This has already happened in my own life this term. As most of you know, the problem with orphaned and vulnerable children/youth has become my main project of the term... I have done an abundance of research and can't wait to get to Mochudi and be a part of their lives. I would like to think that I have also began a ripple in the circle of family and friends that I belong. Hopefully, people have looked at me and thought "if this young math student who is always on the go between his many jobs and volunteer work can do this, why can't I?"

So be the change you want to see; Others will learn from you, many will follow you, and some undeniably won't do anything... but what matters is that others will learn from you and many will follow.

6 comments:

  1. Great post Matt! I wholeheartedly agree with you that the solution is beautiful in its simplicity, we do indeed just need to follow by example. Actions speak louder then words. People may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do.
    Building relationships with people who society all to often deems to be the 'other' breaks down unnecessary boundaries. There are so many divisions in the world and there is no giant plan to break them down, the only way to foster change is be the change you want to see in the world and make differences to individual people. By doing this, change will be inspired in those around you.
    I look forward to hearing how your experience this summer influences people in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And after you became friends with those kids at SSI, they will no longer be "those kids" in my mind. I will see them as Matt's friends. I will feel a personal connection with them, and I'll be a lot more willing to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a quotation on the sheet that Joanne provided us and it reminded me of the message I was trying to get across in this blog:
    "Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustive, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope... and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance." ~Robert F. Kennedy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic post. I have always really liked that saying. It's such a basic principle, but definitely not always easy to follow. It's one thing to profess these ideas with your voice, but entirely another to follow through with action. My friend is really environmentally conscious, and she does a great job of it. Whenever we go to Tim Horton's, she asks for a glass mug so she doesn't waste paper. When she goes to restaurants, she brings her own container with her to take home her leftovers. They are such small and simple things, but as I see her do them I gradually remember to do them myself. It may just be one time out of five that I remember to do these things, but that has already saved more paper than I had to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice posting....i like it...it is really helpfull to all...
    after you became friends with those kids at SSI, they will no longer be "those kids" in my mind. I will see them as Matt's friends.
    Bathmate

    ReplyDelete