Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Cookie Jar

To anyone who knows even a little about me will probably know that music plays a HUGE part in my life. While I can't sing or dance (and sorry to those people who have had to listen or watch me do either of those two things), I can't help but become lost in music. I have a pretty wide selection too... everything from Keith Urban to Eminem (who has a new CD coming out soon... WHAT!) to Jason Mraz to Pink Floyd and more. My favourite artist, however, is probably Jack Johnson - his music is relaxing, interesting AND his lyrics have a point!

The other day I was listening to the song Cookie Jar, by Jack (we're on a first name basis). I encourage you to check out the song:



On the front, the song is about a boy who shoots someone. They question from the boy to the father to the media, who all have an excuse about why the boy's actions cannot be blamed on them.

I truly believe that this is a trend that everyone continues. As I suggested in an earlier post, there are so many negative and destructive things that happen every day, and how easy it is for all of us say "well it's not my fault" and continue with our lives.
What is it that is keeping us from taking action? By taking action we are admitting to ourselves that there is a serious problem, and some people find that hard to admit? Or do we feel that if we stand up to fight, we are taking all the blame and will become the target of criticism? Are we driven by forces that make it personally better if the destruction occurs? Or are we all just lazy?

I think it is a combination of these 4 things. Going back to the song, take any one of the people that have been put up for blame, and consider their position. If the media man was to take the blame, he would be admitting to himself that there is a severe problem, he would be giving "media" a shameful connotation, he would be losing a great story to headline the news with, and lastly, taking the blame would require a lot of work on his part - you can't just take the blame and not do anything about it.

We see this attitude everyday in society... we are constantly placing the blame elsewhere because it is convenient. "I got a bad test mark because the teacher couldn't set a fair test", "I got a speeding ticket because the cop was in a bad mood", "the bum on the street is homeless because he is lazy", "the boy shot the gun because Eminem raps about guns". We reason with ourselves that all of these horrible things around us are not our own fault, but someone else's fault. This takes away our guilt, our personal connection, and lastly (and most importantly) our reason to do anything about it.

It's easy to do this, so I'm not writing this blog to condemn or insult people, more just to make them aware of this phenomenon that occurs... the matter of the fact is that I have done this many times as well. However, through my volunteer time with The Working Centre, I have begun to understand the necessity of accepting responsibility for the way our community operates. Through this acceptance, it has made each visit back to WASL feel more important and meaningful.

At the end of the day, someone (it doesn't matter who it is) has to stop the finger pointing and not just accept that there is a problem, but accept that they are a part of the problem - hence preparing them for a road to solving the problem. I hope I am able to delicately bring this idea to the youth at Stepping Stones International to help them take charge of their future!

Thanks for listening,
Matt

7 comments:

  1. Matt,
    I actually LOVE this song. Apart from agreeing that Jack has chillin music, I have (for the longest time) thought this song spoke truths about the way society passes blame...but your discussion put more meaning to this. Thanks for your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I very much agree with what you've said. You're so right - taking the blame IS a lot of work. Caring IS tiring. It's not just raising your hand and accepting the blame, it's everything that comes after that. People sit there and think - why me? They look beside them and go, "Other people are doing the same thing. Everyone is throwing garbage on the floor, why do I have to be the one who picks them up?" But like our conversation in TWC today - once in awhile there will always be a small group of people who morally stand up and say "That's not right. This needs to stop." And we just need to make sure we're a part of that group of people. Thanks for the song - please please please keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh Matt, I just came across this quote I have to share:

    "The best way to avoid responsibilities is to say "I've got responsibilities" - Richard Bach

    That's totally what people do! "Oh I've got a full time job, 3 kids, a big house to clean, groceries to do, and I'm falling behind in my TV shows! I've got no time!" Since when did no time become an excuse not to take up responsibility? Don't we all have 24 hours? - sorry I'm getting off topic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, guys! And yea, that quote is too true. I think that comes under the category of being too lazy to actually do something. We list off things that we are currently involved with... and after listing/saying them out loud, we quickly are able to convince ourselves that we just can't afford time to work on anything else, and hence, we become content with not doing anything... it's just another technique that humans have developed to keep them from carying out their social responsibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack is awesome! I also LOVELOVELOVE John Mayer. I remember listening to "Waiting for the World to Change" every morning after being accepted to BB weirdly enough. My all time fav. music video is "If Everyone Cared" by Nickelback. You should watch it!! Thanks for the song and reflection; it's so true. It's so easy to blame other things/people for our faults like being late or missing an event instead of just fessing up that we messed up, are over our heads or just saying sorry and that there's no excuse. Also thank you for reminding me of Jason Mraz; I forgot about him as an artist; he's so mellow and just great to relax to! Your blogs are always so meaningful and make me re-evaluate situations. Thanks! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got to this post through Ruby's blog and I have to say that it's really true; we ARE actually part of the problem and if we want to remedy it and create change, we have to get more people to realize that they are actually contributing to some of the world's problems simply by not doing something to help. I think it's hard to get people to realize that they can't just blame others for these problems. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice posting....i like it...I have to say that it's really true; we ARE actually part of the problem and if we want to remedy it and create change, we have to get more people to realize that they are actually contributing to some of the world's problems simply by not doing something to help.

    Bathmate

    ReplyDelete