Monday, May 4, 2009

Dumelang!

Dumelang = Hello (to a group of people)

I just wanted to write a VERY quick note to let everyone know I am in Gabs (Gaborone, which is pronounced as Habaroneee) and i love it! I've spent the last week in orientation, listening to presentations from various NGOs. This past weekend was spent at Mokolodi Nature Reserve where we went on game drives and saw elephants, girraffes, koodoo and everything else. We also went rhino tracking, which was actually a lot more nerve racking than even you would expect... especially when you're 20 feet away and then begin pacing.

Either way, I'm still alive and the snakes haven't gotten me yet! I;m actually even more excited for tomorrow - I will be leaving the capital city and heading about an hour away to a village called Mochudi. Finally I will get a chance to meet my family and coworkers and see what is really instore for me this summer!

I promise the next time I post, it will have more information and pictures attached-for now I just wanted to let everyone know we're doing well in Botswana.

OH and I have free incoming texts, so if anyone feels ambitious, you can find me at: botswana area code + 75438458

Go Siam (BYE!!!!)

3 comments:

  1. Your first week sounds AMAZING! It is sooo nice to hear from you and makes me more excited to get going as well! Say hi to Maryam and have a blast meeting your host family and getting settled into your placement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, wow, I am soooo excited that you have posted already! It all sounds like so much fun! Have fun meeting your host family and seeing your placement :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt I'm leaving this afternoon and I will see you in a week. Absolutely can't wait!

    ReplyDelete